Saturday, June 4, 2016

Looking Forward to Speaking on Perishable Product Supply Chains at Imperial College and on Disaster Relief at Lancaster University in England

The news has spread that I am now a Visiting Fellow at All Souls College at Oxford University in England and, as a consequence, I have been honored with two great speaking engagements.

This coming week, on June 9, I will be speaking at the Centre for Transport Studies at Imperial College in London.

The title of my presentation at Imperial College is: "Supply Chain Networks: From Food to Pharma."

Imperial College prepared the nice notice below for my talk.

I had previously spoken at Imperial College on April 24, 2007 but then my topic was Critical Infrastructure Networks and Supernetworks,  

Since, my project at All Souls College as a Visiting Fellow is on supply chain network competition and quality, the seminar is very topical for me and I am very much looking forward to presenting on a variety of perishable product supply chains.

And, on June 28, I will be traveling from Oxford to present a seminar at the Department of Management Science at Lancaster University. The title of my presentation there, which I am in the processing of polishing is: "Disaster Relief Supply Chains: Network Models, Algorithm, and Case Studies
I received the invitation to speak at Lancaster University back in March 2016. The department is one of the largest Management Science departments  in the United Kingdom, with strong OR & OM groups interested in transportation, logistics, supply chains and other topics (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/management-science/people/). . Lancaster University if located 50 miles north of Manchester/Liverpool (towards the Lake District), 2.5 hours away from London on the train.

In my seminar presentation, I will speak on the Nagurney-Qiang network performance / efficiency measure and link and node importance identification and ranking, which is valuable for disaster planning as well as management. I will also describe a model developed in the paper, "A Mean-Variance Disaster Relief Supply Chain Network Model for Risk Reduction with Stochastic Link Costs, Time Targets, and Demand Uncertainty," Anna Nagurney and Ladimer S. Nagurney, to appear in Dynamics of Disasters, I.S. Kotsireas, A. Nagurney, and P.M. Pardalos, Eds., Springer International Publishing Switzerland. I will discuss then the model's application to a case study of hurricanes hitting Mexico. Finally, I plan on presenting some of our latest game theory results for post-disaster humanitarian relief using a Generalized Nash Equilibrium (GNE) model, which was developed with one of my former Isenberg School of Management honors students, Emilio Alvarez-Flores, who graduated in May 2016, and Professor Ceren Soylu  of the Department of Economics at UMass Amherst. I will also present a case study of Hurricane Katrina of our framework and compare the results obtained under the GNE solution concept to that for the  Nash Equilibrium version.  The results are quite fascinating and have major implications for policy makers.