Thursday, November 6, 2014

Looking forward to the WORMS (Women in Operations Research and the Management Sciences) Events #INFORMS2014

After teaching today and holding office hours I will be starting to pack for the INFORMS Annual Meeting in San Francisco.

Several of our doctoral students who are taking part in various colloquia are already flying out today.

I am looking forward to many aspects of this conference - the talks, the people, the special events, and the great venue of San Francisco! It will be a marvelous conference, I am sure. I will have two of my present doctoral students delivering our joint papers and one previous one. Plus, I expect to see at least 6 of my former PhD students there and friends from around the US and the globe!

One of my favorite series of events and sessions is organized by the INFORMS forum known as WORMS, which stands for Women in Operations Research and the Management Sciences.  And the events are not for women only! In fact, I found out about some of the events from my former male doctoral students! The WORMS Awards luncheon, which takes place next Tuesday is sold out, since it is so popular, and I remind my students to purchase their tickets early. I posted photos from the WORMS lunch in Minneapolis last year here.  I  am delighted that the Isenberg School of Management Dean, Dr. Mark Fuller, has again provided support for this event!

Below, I have reprised a message that was sent out by the WORMS President, Dr. Susan Martonosi of Harvey Mudd College.  Of course, you don't need to be a WORMS member to attend all the events at our conference, but there are benefits to joining so you may wish to join. It's a great, supportive community!


Dear WORMS members,

On behalf of the WORMS officers, I would like to invite you to the various WORMS events next week at the Annual Meeting in San Francisco!

Sunday Nov 9, 6:15 - 7:15:  Business Meeting: Please come to hear about the exciting things we have done this year and share your ideas for the future of WORMS!  (Hilton Ballroom Level Continental 3)

Tuesday Nov 11, 11:00 - 12:30 : Panel Discussion: Academic Leadership     (TB59 - Hilton Golden Gate 3)

Tuesday Nov 11, 12:30 - 1:30 : Annual WORMS Luncheon (Sold out!)    We will be presenting the WORMS Award for the Advancement of Women!  (Hilton Lobby Level - Plaza A)

Tuesday Nov 11, 13:30 - 15:00 : Best of Women in OR/MS (TC59 - Hilton Golden Gate 3)
Hear talks on research published by women in top journals this year!  Speakers include Robin Dillon-Merrill, Nilay Noyan and Canan Ulu.

Tuesday Nov 11, 16:30 - 18:00 : Joint Session WORMS/JFIG/MIF: Speed Networking (TD14 - Ballroom Level Imperial B)
Bring your business cards; speed networking is back!  Find new research collaborations and industry connections.  If you would like to volunteer, please email me!

Tuesday Nov 11, 16:30 - 18:00 : Joint Session WORMS/MIF: Panel Discussion with Department Chairs: How to Recruit, Retain, and Support Women and Minority Students  (TD59 - Hilton Golden Gate 3)


We are looking forward to seeing you next week!

Best,
Susan

------------------------------
Susan Martonosi
Associate Professor
Harvey Mudd College
Claremont CA
------------------------------