Sunday, June 1, 2014

Majesty of Swedish Train Stations and Trains

Every year I offer a course at the Isenberg School of Management on Transportation & Logistics, which I very much enjoy teaching.

During my travels and time abroad I am always collecting new materials and also visuals for my course.

Presently, I am back in Europe, specifically, at the School of Business, Economics and Law, at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden,  where I hold a Visiting Professorship of Operations Management. As part of this faculty appointment I spend several weeks a year in the beautiful city of Gothenburg, which is the second largest city in Sweden, after Stockholm.

On this stunning Sunday morning in Gothenburg, I made my way to the Central Station and was delighted to see so many trains at the station, even double decker ones. I could not resist snapping the photos below and sharing them with my readers.

When I ask my students back in Massachusetts what is their favorite mode of transportation, I always get a response of  "trains," from several of them. I love riding the rails in Europe and wish that there were more such options in the US!

The below photo was taken a few days ago, when one of my close friends, Professor Kai May Lau, of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, came to Gothenburg and spoke at Chalmers University. She also marveled at the Gothenburg Central Station.