Saturday, June 29, 2013

Supernetwork Center Associates at Euro INFORMS in Rome, Italy


I returned last week from Europe, where I have been spending part of my sabbatical as a Visiting Professor of Operations Management at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden.

This sabbatical has been fabulous and I am now writing several research papers, inspired by my time in Europe and discussions with colleagues in Sweden.

The Euro INFORMS Conference will be taking place soon -- July 1-4, 2013, in Rome, Italy, and I am pleased to report that several Supernetwork Center Associates will be taking part and that they represent 4 different countries! It is wonderful to see so many operations researchers and management scientists converging from around the globe for this conference!

The last time that I was in Rome, Italy, was May 28-30, 2009, when I delivered a plenary talk at NET 2009: Evolution and Complexity at the Sapienza University of Rome (the photo below is from that conference.)
 Net2009

Although I won't be going to Euro INFORMS, our research group will be well-represented there.

Being the Director of the Virtual Center for Supernetworks, which I founded in 2001, has been incredibly rewarding and I am very pleased that we have sustained its richness of activities in terms of research, education, and outreach and that our website gets visited every day internationally. We have built a community of Supernetwork Center Associates, many of whom received their PhDs from the Isenberg School of Management at UMass Amherst, that collaborates and supports one another.

Conferences are the perfect venues in which to reconnect face to face and the Euro INFORMS Conference will be bringing together Center Associates: Professor Patrizia Daniele of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Catania in Italy, Professor Dmytro Matsypura of the School of Business at the University of Sydney in Australia, Professor Tina Wakolbinger of the Vienna University of Economics and Business, and Professor Jose M. Cruz of the School of Business at the University of Connecticut.

Patrizia Daniele has organized a session on Recent Advances in Dynamics of Variational Inequalities I and will be speaking on: Variational Inequalities and Applications to Network Models in session II. In the latter, Tina Wakolbinger and Jose Cruz will deliver their joint paper: Applications of Variational Inequalities in Supply Chain Management — Status Quo and Future Directions. Finally, Dmytro Matsypura will present on: Incremental Network Design with Maximum Flows. His paper is joint work with Martin Savelsbergh and  Thomas Kalinowski.

And, since I could not resist, below are photos of several of the Center Associates with me, when Professor Daniele and her husband visited the Supernetwork Laboratory for Computation and Visualization at the Isenberg School at UMass Amherst, back in the summer of 2004, July 9-10.

In the photo immediately above, Tina Wakolbinger is the second one from the left, and Jose Cruz is standing behind me (I'm in the flowered dress). Dmytro Matsypura is behind Patrizia, who is also next to me.
 
It is wonderful to see the academic social network flourishing!