Saturday, May 18, 2013

Tips on Publishing Journal Articles -- PhD Workshop

I have been busy preparing a series of presentations that I will be giving soon in Europe.

The first one I will deliver on June 3, 2013 at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden.
 
My presentation is entitled: Reflections of an Experienced Researcher on Presenting and Publishing Quantitative Research, and it is one of several presentations that will be given at the Nordlog Doctoral Workshop as part of the 25th NOFOMA Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden.

The full list of invited speakers is below:
  • Dr. Alex Ellinger, editor of the Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management
  • Professor Anna Nagurney, University of Massachusetts Amherst
  • Professor Michael Browne, University of Westminster
  • Professor Patrik Jonsson, Chalmers University of Technology.
The topics that I will be covering include:

 Some Background Where Do Research Ideas Come From?
 What is Your Philosophy of Research?
 What About Collaboration?
 What About Writing a Publishable Paper?
 Why the Hard Work is Worth It
 Some Final Points.


In my presentation, I will also discuss some of the competitive challenges associated with journal publishing from the point of journal article supply and demand (and hope) of authors for publication.

I will also provide strategies for journal selection, revising a paper, etc., and emphasize that one should never give up hope if you believe in your work and to keep at it. This was a topic of a previous post of mine -- thanks to all of you who wrote me that you very much appreciated this blogpost.

The montage below has photos of several Nobel laureates in Economic Sciences who had their papers rejected and some of the very same papers, after they were eventually published,  became classics. And there are others with the same experiences!

Of the above laureates, I had met Paul Samuelson when I was at MIT as a Visiting Professor and Scholar over a 2 year period and I met Harry Markowitz in an elevator at an INFORMS Conference.  Kenneth Arrow I had met at a workshop at Stanford University at which my dissertation advisor, Stella Dafermos, also took part. As for Paul Krugman, I enjoy his writings, including his OpEds in The New York Times and our points of additional intersections include that he is an RSAI Fellow, and so am I.

The PhD Workshop should be very interesting and fun, since we are even instructed to bring swimsuits and a towel for a sauna event in the evening!