Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving and Thanks to My Great Students and Collaborators!

Many have traveled by planes, trains, busses, and/or cars or perhaps walked to get to their destinations today to celebrate Thanksgiving. Some will be the hosts and the delicious aromas of the turkey baking, along with all the fixings, are permeating homes. Others who have lost homes and are struggling, hopefully, will  be welcomed by their communities where there are volunteers to make sure that all those in need feel welcome.

As I communicated with my doctoral students at the Isenberg School of Management and several close collaborators yesterday, it has certainly been a very eventful year. Some responded by saying that they remember celebrating Thanksgiving dinner over our home and were introduced to such traditions by my family.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give thanks to all those who have offered me advice and support this year, especially colleagues at INFORMS, at WORMS (Women in Operations Research and the Management Sciences),  RSAI (Regional Science Association International), the AMS (American Mathematical Society), and my wonderful new colleagues at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg, where I have been spending part of my sabbatical this year. Special thanks to my great students and collaborators.

Alone we can only do so much but together we can accomplish tremendous things and also have an enjoyable time working together!

With best wishes to everyone for a safe, warm, and inviting Thanksgiving Day!

The photos below were taken at a Thanksgiving dinner that we hosted a few years back to which I invited my doctoral students at that time. They all successfully graduated and several have achieved tenure (even in record time). These memories we will always treasure.