Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Celebrations Continue

Some of the college commencements are now over with and some will still be soon taking place but the celebrations continue.


This past week, after the spectacular UMass Amherst and Isenberg School of Management graduations, we also celebrated on a more intimate scale and took out to dinner one of my doctoral students, who is now Dr. Min Yu, and who will soon be Professor Min Yu, and her parents, who had traveled all the way from China (and her uncle did as well) to see her receive her PhD.

It was the dream of Min's grandfather, who is now in his 90s, that one of his family members would receive a PhD in the US and Min has achieved his dream. Min's parents brought me gifts in stunning packaging that they brought from China.

The card and letter from Min I have already posted in my office.

Following our celebratory dinner (not in one of Amherst's terrific Chinese restaurants but, rather, in the Persian restaurant, Moti, which Min had selected), we walked around downtown Amherst and Amherst College where the photo below was taken.
 
Next week I will also be assuming the role of proud Mom (in addition to being a very proud Academic Mom) when my daughter, Alexandra, graduates from Deerfield Academy, where there will also be pomp and circumstance. For those who would like to get a sense of  such a graduation, I have posted photos from previous graduations.

Congratulations to all the graduates of 2012 and to their family members and friends.

I do think that this generation will change the world for the better!